Friday, August 18, 2006

Book Meme!

Bronteana has tagged me for a Book meme! Thank you Bronteana! :)

1. One book that changed your life:

Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy. I read it for my Victorian Literature class two years ago, and the book affected me in many ways afterward. I was very moved by Tess's plight, her will to survive despite any obstacle, and the forces (both of the self and Nature) that can tear lives apart. Hardy's descripion of landscape, its tendency to regenerate as well as its cruelty to annihilate, seemed to me a metaphor that extends beyond the precincts of the novel into the depths of human consciousness. I watched the movie (the BBC version starring Justine Waddell) over and over again and people wondered how I could bear to watch something that was, in their opinion, so "depressing". Watching the film showed me that the film (and the novel), wasn't entirely about Tess, or her plight. It was about writing, dialogue, and Art. Somehow Tess's fate didn't seem so gloomy because the novel made her triumph in a strange fashion, in the words between the lines. I was then drawn to Jude the Obscure, although I had been warned that it was "the saddest book in the world". The perserverance of Tess and Sue, their struggle against the obstacles imposed upon them, resonated with me very strongly. It was at this point that I gained more interest in Feminist Literature. Tess of the d'Urbervilles allowed me to ask questions of Jane Eyre, and see it in a different light than what I had been used to previously. This different reading of Jane Eyre lead to reading (and rereading) other works of the Brontes, as their works combined rich landscapes, Nature (both interior and exterior), and acute study of women's inner (and outer) lives. I then wished to pursue Bronte studies.

2. One book that you’ve read more than once:

Several. Most recently, Possession by A.S. Byatt.

3. One book you’d want on a desert island:

Jane Eyre, obviously! :)

4. One book that made you laugh:

About a Boy by Nick Hornby.

5. One book that made you cry:

Tess of the d'Urbervilles

6. One book that you wish had been written.

I wish Charlotte Bronte had finished Emma, for I too found the opening chapters very intriguing. I also wish I could have read Emily's second novel.

7. One book that you wish had never been written.

I think there is a lot to be learnt from any book, so I'd be in support of books being written always, one must read good and bad literature to discern the differences between them.
However, if I had to choose, I'd wish that Claire Boylan had not tried to finish Charlotte Bronte's Emma. I did not like Boylan's re-writing. I believe that perhaps she had rather left Emma alone, for it is indeed possible for a book to be complete in its state of incompletion.

8. One book you’re currently reading:

I generally end up reading several at once. Currently, I capture the Castle by Dodie Smith, Sugar and other stories by A.S. Byatt, and The Arabian Nights.

9. One book you’ve been meaning to read:

Juliet Barker's biography of the Brontes, and I hope to get started on this once I am settled.

10. Now tag five people: I tag Mandy, Cristina, Sophia, Holly, and Frankengirl.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you were so touched by 'Tess'! That was one of the first books I had to read for my english class in highschool, the one with 'Mr.Dante'. That class changed my life, and that book was the one that opened my heart to british literature. Tess's plight is sad- the book is very heartbreaking, but I think it speaks volumes, and is a little feminist in its almost revolutionary description of 'a virtuous women.' I read most of Thomas Hardy's books before I ever read anything Bronte (the Brontes, I pride myself, of discovering on my own), and was really touched by his work.

Anonymous said...

Now for my 'Book Meme'
I have no blog yet, so I'll post it here
This will be kind of short, for I'm kind of pressed for time (thanks for tagging me though)

book that....

changed my life: Jane Eyre
read more than once: Jane Eyre and Villette
Dessert Island: Persuasion
Laugh: Mr.Darcy Takes a Wife
Cry: Villette
Wish was written: a second novel by Emily Bronte
Wish was never written: the Illiad
Currently reading: Uncle Tom's Cabin
Meaning to read: Tenant of Widfell Hall

Maybe I can expand on this later...

mysticgypsy said...

Glad to hear that Hardy's work has influenced you so as well!

yes, and do elaborate on the Meme if you have time :)

Anonymous said...

OK, I have some time to expand...
Jane Eyre, I read on my own last October. I had just moved away from my old highschool and friends, and was attending a community college, not really sure in what direction to take my education. Though I'm a bookworm now, the same couldn't be said of me a year or two ago, even though I seemed like the kind of person who would enjoy reading. Slowly, through my English teacher, and my dear 'book friend' Elen, I was introduced to various authors who really sparked my interest (ie. thomas hardy). After I moved, I kept up the habit of reading on my own, usually reading things suggested to me by friends. Jane Eyre, however, I randomly discovered on my own in the library, checked out, and adored. It came to me at a strange life crossroad, and inspired and uplifted me like no other book had. It wasn't until around December I began reading about CB's life, and I became even more inspired. Then came Villette..and now I can trully say I don't know what I'd be without having read the Brontes work. I love reading other books by other authors, but reading CB's books, I feel like I'm 'home'. Very sappy, but very true.
Drat, I have to stop writing for now, I'll talk about the other books later :')

Cristina said...

Thank you for tagging me! I will be answering to it tomorrow if all goes well. Love these things :D

Tess is such a powerful book! Amazing. And the good thing about Thomas Hardy - at least the few other books I have read by him - is that he doesn't get any worse. Haven't read Jude the Obscure yet though.

Sophia said...

Hi MysticGypsy! Thanks for tagging me too! I am only reading this 9 days later but I will soon put it on my blog.

Cristina said...

Okay, done! :)