Friday, June 29, 2007

A Sign of the Times...

So the Spice Girls have confirmed their reunion.! I was stunned as I watched the news on TV.

I can't think of the Spice Girls without thinking of my past, growing up in the '90s. They were iconic figures during my most formative years. I remember waiting in the stores to buy their CDs, trying to memorize the lyrics to their songs, and figuring out what 'Spice Girl' I was ( I think I was a hybrid, though quizzes don't give that option ;)) The Spice Girls seemed a normal part of life, amidst the family dramas, school exams, sports practices, vacations, and social events.

With the best of the Spice Girls coming to an end after their split, it seemed like an era was past for me as well. Then followed important transitions in my life, more 'growing up' and so forth.

But with their impending reunion, and that picture in particular, it seems as if it was but yesterday that they came out with their first album. Though all except Mel C now have children, or are expecting, it isn't visible in this picture. They all look as trim and young as they were. Of course, fashions have changed, but the Spice Girls weren't ones to fuss about that ;)

I hope their reunion turns out to be as refreshing as the memories it kindles.

*Pictures courtesy: Philly.com

2 comments:

Cristina said...

Who would have said you were a Spice Girl fan!!

What you describe is what I felt when Take That reunited as well. I confess, however, to owning a couple of records by the Spice Girls too.

Doesn't Victoria look terrible though? Her breasts must weigh more than her legs :S

Ah, those were the days...

mysticgypsy said...

Why? Do I sound old and grave? :P

But a fan of them I was, and those were the days, as you say! Their first single, "Wannabe" definitely addressed their "Girl Power" slogan. Although there were other girl bands (like Atomic Kitten), I think the Spice Girls'appeal reached far and wide. Perhaps this is due to their diversity of personalities, and public appearances.

Glad to know you liked them too :)

Yes, Victoria's figure warrants concern. And to think that she had 3 children! :S She looked more healthier in those days, and more classy as well. I hope she is ok.