Tuesday, May 23, 2006

My exams officially ended on Friday and I suppose (like what the rest of the graduating class belives), I am officially done with college.

Except I don't feel like I am done. In fact, I feel more like I am forcefully expelled.

I am going to miss my classes more than anything else here. And my teachers. I feel so lost already. I'd give anything to discuss a poem or a work of art. The graduating seniors do not want to 'study.' They want to be as far away from such a vocation as possible (at least for now), whereas I simply don't know what to do with myself now that I am 'done.'

I hate having to keep myself from expressing what I feel. People don't want to hear too much analysis. They just want to 'relax.' Well, it is not relaxation for me if I am on my guard all the time. I would not be so if those around me were more open to critical analysis. In their eyes, too much questioning is unnecssary, more so now that we are offcially done with studying.

It surprises me how a lot of people just want to leave this place of learning, this place with endless opportunities. I don't know if it is because they are so over-worked or whether they hated what they studied. I know that if I had remained in Neuroscience, I would feel just the way they do.

I am learning to see different shades of people now that they are leaving college. I see many of those who want to make loads of money, I see others groveling for prestige. As long as you land a fancy job that pays well, there is no end to people admiring you. They don't want to know if this job is what you really want to do or why you are doing it in the first place. All they care about it is the prestige that it entails.

I understand that an element of practicality is necessary for survival. One needs a roof over their head and food to eat. But it is this lust for wealth and prestige that I find disturbing.

1 comment:

mysticgypsy said...

Dear Frankengirl
Thank you so much for your kind words of advice and understanding.

"Still, it can be such a shock to one’s system to leave behind a semi-magical realm in which questioning, analyzing, learning, exploring is encouraged and rewarded"
You've said it so well! When I am in my classes, I feel like I am in a magical place...a world where one sees no end to possibilities. One is free to dream dreams and no one can impose limits.