Thursday, October 26, 2006

Meddling Middlemen (and women)

Many of my coworkers are women in their early or mid-thirties and it so often happens that the subject of our converstations revolves around relationships and the joys and pains of having to live with a man (and bear his babies too!). Aside from those that claim to be bursting with matrimonial bliss and others that pine for a breath of "singledom", there is a good number that is baffled at the scarcity of men--of the potential husband types that is, instead of the ones solely looking to get laid. Today our converstation turned to the virtues of online matchup sites, which pride in being able to help thousands find their corresponding soulmates. These matchup sites, the most famous-at least in our sphere-being eharmony, rely on you becoming a paid member, sometiems requiring you to take a personality quiz, and depending on your responses, finding other people whose responses closely match your own. The match of responses is a correlation of the degree of manners, interests, and temperament you would share with your potential love interest (provided of course, that the relationship is allowed to blossom further). In this way, the matchup sites function as middlemen in relationships, a notch short of the traditional matchmaker in the styles ranging from the meddlesome but good-natured Mrs. Jennings to the officious Lady Russell, whose intentions strive to seperate two people who are otherwise madly in love with each other.

For a younger crowd for whom the marriage arena is only a distant possibility, there are the Facebooks, MySpaces, LiveJournals, and Friendsters. Most young people (for now the Facebook has allowed highschoolers to sign up) visit these sites to "network"--meaning keep track of their friends' whereabouts (in other words, affairs such as which couples have broken up and who is in a relationship), connect to old classmates (more out of curiosity rather than driven by any genuine affection), and potentially find a date to hang out with on an otherwise uneventful Friday night. Though all of these reasons seem removed from the more serious purpose of networking, there are a few people who visit these sites to land a job. It is now possible to find out what a long-lost friend is doing in a wildlife reserve in New Zealand and ask her if her team could use an ecologist who specializes in a rare breed of birds that is only found in and around New Zealand. If you are lucky, you might actually be on the plan to New Zealand sooner than you think while the rest of your friends are struggling to find jobs back home.

However, the virtues of such sites are undercut by their ability to meddle with people's lives. For one, going on the Facebook can lead to a severe bout of procrastination each day, leaving chores undone and rising the levels of agitation. Just as relationships can be fostered, they can also crumble. A friend of mine didn't include her relationship status in her profile, which made her boyfriend very upset to the point of paranoia. He insisted that her not acknowleding their relationship is an indicator of the lack of her feelings for him while she maintained that he is unduly jealous since all he should care is how they feel for each other, regardless of whether the whole world knows of her feelings for him or not. Their relationship was rocky for a long time on account of this until my friend gave in, acknowledged their relationship online, mentioned his name, and managed to finally appease his anger. The said couple, for all the world knows, is now doing well.

How tiresome being a middleman could be didn't strike me until I found myself in such a position a few days ago. When a friend of mine felt unwell, her boyfriend contacted me and asked me to check up on her since he was traveling at the time and was unable to spend a lot of time with her. When I mentioned to her about her boyfriend's contacting me on account of concern for her, I sensed a little edginess in her response to me--as if my communicating with him (which he initiated) was not very welcome. Her boyfriend, unaware of what passed between my friend and I, contined to ask me about how his girlfriend was doing and I could not help but feel a little uneasy for the last thing I needed is any suspicion from my friend, especially when it was unwarranted.

It is ironic that when a middleman exists to connect two parties, it can also do the opposite and tear them apart. I wonder if this is a result of the fragility of human affections: are we just as prone to trust people as we are to mistrust them? If we are walking on a tight-rope of emotions in which extremes exist on either side, is this act one of strengh or weakness?

4 comments:

Cristina said...

We become more and more mistrustful with time. As soon as we don't understand someone else's actions we look out for "red flags".

And also I think go-betweens and "middlepeople" end up very badly since most of the times one party (or even both) will lay the blame (for anything) at their door and forget about all the good services they made them. We live in an age when no one wants the responsibility they have and keep on looking for people who can bear what they won't.

The beginning of your post, where you talked about match-up sites, reminded me of a discussion that took place at FrankenGilr's blog :)

PS. Will you post your opinions on Mrs Dalloway once the book sinks in?

mysticgypsy said...

Hi Cristina
"We live in an age when no one wants the responsibility they have and keep on looking for people who can bear what they won't."
I wonder if such behavior is timeless, though. Middlepeople do seem to bear the brunt of trying to work for others.

Ah, dear Frankengirl, I do remember that post of hers. I hope she comes back here soon :)

I confess I had a hard time reading Mrs. Dalloway. I was also busy with other things that week so perhaps it didn't have enough of my attention that it could have had otherwise. Dalloway is my introduction to Virginia Woolf's works...and, judging from what I feel about the book, I find that modernism (or her version of it that is evident in this book) is in a very different league from the Victorian Literature that I am much more familiar with.

However, Mrs. Dalloway has prompted me to read The Hours and re-watch the movie of the same name starring Nicole Kidman. The book is very engaging and makes me want to re-read Mrs. Dalloway with a fresh perpsective :)

I will try and post a review on Mrs. Dalloway (whether Woolf's version or Cunningham's).

Hope you have a great weekend!

Cristina said...

I think you have followed the right order then. In my case I read The Hours before I even read Mrs Dalloway!

The Hours is great on its own and even better when you keep Mrs Dalloway in sight.

Oh, of course Mrs Dalloway is completely different from Victorian novels. It just takes getting used to.

You too have a brilliant weekend! :D

Unknown said...

It is also worn by pandora online groom-to-be and indicates cheap pandora that she is going to marry very soon with her sweetie. For getting pandora charm the best diamond engagement rings it would pandora charms australia be better to visit a highly established and certified online thomas sabo charms jewelry stores where we can find a wide range of engagement rings in various designed thomas charms