Thursday, September 29, 2005

Swimming Lessons
The feeling is just wonderful, breathtaking.
yeah peeps, I am talking about learning to swim (ok...don't laugh, so what? Its never too late to learn anything right? )

But seriously!!! It is truly one of the most liberating things I've ever, experienced.
I never thought I'd learn to actually do free style in so short a time. In the past, I'd watch my brothers dip and dive in the pool and I'd feel envious and upset that I could never yet master that....but that was then. Every time I tried it, I'd be scared of the water filling up my nose, and also of drowing...

Then I needed PE credits to graduate (yes..imagine if the only reason I couldnt' graduate was due to lack of PE credits!!! Like how dumb!!!) so yeah not wlling to risk such a misfortune...I signed up for swimming...because where else would it be easier to learn it (if ever) than right here?

oh the ordeals...first came the shopping for swimsuits (yes, peeps, you should know how picky I am when it comes to that!), and I spent an entire weekend looking for the perfect one! Finally, Safia helped me find a nice, comfy pair =)

Yep..it wasn't easy during the first few days...there were too many steps to remember and I had to learn that merely learning to float didn't mean I could get all excited and eager and go over to the "forbidden" deep end (yeah..and nearly risked a heart attack). But the swimming assistant coaches were really sweet and patient with me though and I am happy to announce that I have finally got the hang of free style *proud grin*.

oh the first time I learnt to float on my back, I could just go on for hours....it felt so...peaceful. As if all I had was the water beneath me and the sky above. Gone were all my troubles when I was like that, and I could just concentrate on keeping my tummy in, my legs straight and my head above the water. After a while, I didn't even have to "think"-it just happened. Maybe if I didn't think too much about my worries, it'll all be fine. I could float through life I did in the water. Maybe if I just concentrated on the lightness of being and the pleasure in simple things, life would actually be more enjoyable.

There is a comfort that comes when the water buoys you up, when you learn not to sink. Its like the mass of water beneath and all around you holds you as if you were in a cocoon. The water fils up the spaces around you, and also inside of you. It feels like its telling me "I am right here, enveloping you, holding you, caressing you. You're safe with me. You are safe here."

Next came the learning to actually kick and going forward as well as kicking on your back. This was exciting too...because every time I was able to hold my breath, look down at the bottom of the pool, keep myself horizontal, kick, and move, it means I'd have to push masses of water behind me in order to thrust myself forward. It was symbolic of pushing away your difficulties, evils, temptations, and dissappointments. These things are going to keep coming, keep piling up, but it doesnt' mean that I'd have to let them stop me from going forward. As long as I have faith and believe that I CAN move forward, I can over come them. In fact, those very obstacles will help me not only grow stronger, but also reach newer heights as well as enjoy the pleasures along the way-just like the lightness of floating.

And finally, there is a sort of grace that comes over you when you are in the company of water. Its like you move differenly underneath, and your body arches in ways that would allow you to glide and keep balance. And when you twirl yourself in the water, every move is in slow motion but with a certain melody to it...there is just a pleasant song that your body seems to sing when you are in the water. Its a feeling of letting go...of yourself, your constraints, your difficulties,...and just being comfortable with yourself and your surroundings, feeling safe and comforted, and....and a special kind of lightness, inside and out.

No comments: