Tuesday, July 25, 2006

I had yet another interview yesterday and spent almost the whole day in town again. To my surprise, I found the place quite easily, as opposed to the other times when I've jumped into the wrong train or walked for miles on the wrong street. The building was centrally located so I found it faster. Once again, I think the interview went...fine. I mean, there wasn't much I could have added and there wasn't much I didn't know about the job. Basically, they informed me frankly, "It is very unglamarous, but it has got to be done". Ah well..I guess one would say that it has got to start somewhere, right? That I will be doing an entry-level job and then moving higher. Although I complain often now during the summer that I don't have enough time to read and study for my GREs, I think it'd be even harder if I get a full-time job that's tedious. This summer job is not stressful and I do have lovely supervisors who I can converse with: One's a Jane Eyre fan, and the other recommended some interesting books for me to read.

Well If I didn't escape a mishap in getting to the town, I did encounter one on the way back. I took a train back but it was only after I got in that I realized that it was an express train and went on another route. So there I was, sandwiched between two odd gentlemen, an rather obese one on my left who was snoring, and another fiercly sombre one working intently on his laptop. All this time I was trying to drink my coffee instead of spilling it on my new suit (which I had purchased after my interview), or on the man's laptop or the other man's pants. How I had the patience and nerve to not falter, I cannot fathom but I made it...to the wrong stop that is. So I got down, and waited for the train back to the town. Thankfully, it stopped at my very own station on the way to town so it turned out well in the end.

Oh but there is more, for we endured 2 more fire alarms yesterday, and then my friend FINALLY decided she was willing to watch 1 hour of Jane Eyre and we watched it together. She did dislike the acting of the kids who played Young Jane and the Reeds and I was so embarassed for them. I assured her that the movie got better when the adults stepped in. However, poor Rochy falls off his horse when episode 1 ends so that is all the glimpse she got of him yesterday. I find Jane Eyre to be like something like a familiar friend..like something that might ground me in reality.

1 comment:

mysticgypsy said...

Hi Frankengirl!
"How is it that Jane seems more real than those who are real?!"
Yes! I wonder about this a lot. Then I think that sometimes I live in different worlds and what is "real" in one world does not coincide with that in the other. I run into such problems when I prefer one world over another, of course ;)

Yay! I am excited for you to finally be able to watch JE 1973 soon! There'll be plenty of Ned and Janet for you to delight in!