Monday, June 26, 2006

A fall and (uncommonplace) frenzy

Today was one of those days that were out of the ordinary.
My friends and I wished to walk around The Lake in the late afternoon and as we were walking toward it, I happened to spot one of my Professors. Overjoyed and unable to contain myself, I waved and screamed her name. She turned to face me, and motioned for me to come and converse with her. We were about 20 yards away, with a hill-like area dividing us, which I had to cross. We talked for a bit and she told me that she told another student of hers about my Bronte exhibit. I think she is quite taken with my Bronte-devotion :) But as soon as I finished talking to her, I started to run down the hill, forgetting that it had rained the day before and for part of the morning, creating large, hidden puddles of mud in the grass. So within a few seconds, SPLASH!!! I found myself in the middle of a large puddle of mud, having fallen on my back. I was drenched all over in mud , including my hair, my face just barely escaping the ordeal. My Professor turned back, caught a glimpse of my poor, soaked self and came to assist me. I tried to muster up some humor and told her that this fall added some spice to my otherwise usually dull existance. She chuckled and said that the fall seemed more like out of a Bronte novel, or better yet, a Jane Austen one. I told her perhaps I ought to hear Willoughby and his horse approaching ;) If it had rained that instant, I might have doubted my conjecture less ! Perhaps then I could have even seen a Gytrash in the distance instead :P

Trying to exert a somewhat cheerful aspect, I got up out of the puddle with much effort just when my friends, oblivious to all that happened, inquired after me. So the Lake trip was put off for now and I walked back to my room. But this was not the end, for just as I was getting cleaned up, the fire alarm rang and I had to run out of the my room, shivering and half-drenched once again.

Ah well, it is a little incident but one that created some excitement, even if it included just myself. The fall wasn't too bad, thankfully, in fact, it was a rather graceful glide ;)

In terms of other odds and ends, I feel like I ought to watch Jane Eyre (1973) again in order to probe further and ascertain whether my sentments on watching it for the first time still hold true. I probably will get to this task tomorrow.

I watched Oliver Twist (directed by Roman Polanski) and I thought it was very intriguing. Primarily because it contained NOTHING about his past or his identity. Ever since I read Oliver Twist when I was about 11, one thing I always remembered was his poor mother dying in the workhouse in the first chapter. I was surprised to find that this version did not mention his mother, or his family AT ALL. Instead, it focused on Fagin,and tried to explore the ethics involved in judging him. This was well done. I don't think I have taken too much of a fancy to Dickens--his characters are too one-dimensional,although the social commentary is significant. Oliver Twist is so angelic you wonder how the child could be so innocent. In a similar vein, Nicholas Nickelby vexes me for the same reason,as does his shallow passion (if it could be called that) for the woman who eventually becomes his wife (her name even escapes me). Anyways, I digress...

I ought to start studying for the GREs. I bought a GRE prep book for that purpose but still haven't found the time to open it and concentrate. Job search is so distracting. I feel like I ought to get paid to get a job (that pays). How ironic!But really, I feel like I don't have much time. I must get something soon..by the end of the summer at least. I hope I can still stay motivated enough to work on job search. If only i could immmerse myself in reading and if only I never had to find a job..ah well, that would be splendid, woudn't it? I am currently reading a book on Emily Bronte's Gondal stories and I find it so interesting! I want to keep reading this stuff all day! I do love her poetry so! I feel that I could relate to Emily on several levels. I could feel her frustrations when she yearned for the World of the Imagination, and I could understand her distate for the tedious kind of "work" in the Real World. It's such a shame she lived almost 250 years ago. I could have had a confidante in her..

1 comment:

mysticgypsy said...

Hi Frankengirl!
I am glad you found my descriptions entertaining :)

Oh yes, do read it if you get a chance or after you've seen the movie. I might have to modify that review, or write another one, since my opinions have changed slightly after watching it a second time.