Friday, June 02, 2006

The last few days have been very hectic. We had our Commencement yesterday and I've offically gradauted. I am now a B.A, an English major. I feel like a lot had happened in the last few days and I've felt a rollercoaster of emotions passing through me. The ceremony right before Commencement was the most emotional one for me becuase the event brought back all sorts of memories from the last four years of college: from my apprehension about going away from home for the first time, making new friends, challenging myself in my classes, applying for internships, making summer plans, finishing up my degree requirements, and finally the days building up to senior week and graduation. So much has happend and I feel I have changed immensely. From being a quiet first year, I've learnt to speak up for what I believe in, to ask lots of questions, and to enjoy learning for learning's sake. I know I've also had some rough times in college. This place has torn me apart and built me up to be a different, stronger person in a lot of ways. For this learning, I am grateful. It doesn't mean everything is going to be smooth right now. Far from it. I still don't have a job, or a definite place to stay for that matter. And then, I miss school terribly. I miss the World of Dreams. Then there are doubts about how I am going to get to grad school, and then about getting a job after that. I think all these uncertainties would be easier to deal with if I didn't have pressure from home. Now even my dad keeps telling me that I must "think about 'settling' down", because I am "getting too old". My mother of course is terrified and bitter that my "time" is running out, that no one might marry me and she then can't bear telling the unfortunate news to the people in our social circle that her daughter is not only "still unmarried" but there doesn't seem to be any propect of her being a wife in the near future. I think finding a husband is the last in my list of priorities right now. A nice job which will allow me to have my own apartment, my own freedom, would be much more welcome.

Anyways, I have to move out in a few hours and my living arrangements will be uncertain for a few weeks. I hope to check my blog/read other blogs at least once a day but I can't be sure. I'll miss the Blogosphere so much! I'll miss all my blog friends and the great discussions. I'll especially miss Frankengirl, for she has been a kindred spirit, a kind visitor of my blog and I do value her comments and posts.

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!!

3 comments:

mysticgypsy said...

Hi Frankengirl!
Thank you!! :)

I think the "figuring out my [professional] life" phase might keep my mind from dwelling on matters of matrimonial nature for the present.

I believe I must send out that search committee to find Ned now more than ever. My imagination is badly craving some exertion.

mysticgypsy said...

"If only my mind had time to take a walk about Thornfield! - :) "

I remember in those bygone days when you took a peek into Thornfield!!

I spent a pleasant two hours at Avonlea a few days ago. I must say you don't find spunk like that Anne-girl's too often! It makes me want to read all the Anne books again!

mysticgypsy said...

Hi Frankengirl!
Love your questions! :D

"Do you think Anne is outwardly what Jane wishes she could be, as a child?"
I think Anne is very much like young Jane. Both of them dream dreams and let their imaginations get the better of them at times. They are also prone to getting themselves into more scrapes. Their tempers are fierce as well. They are both 11 year old orphan girls when we meet them and both read books to live. I was surprised as well as pleased at the likeness between Anne and young Jane. (No wonder I love both these books immensely!) There is a book I've been longing to read called Jane Eyre's American daughters : from The wide, wide world to Anne of Green Gables, a study of marginalized maidens and what they mean by John Seelye and I believe this addresses the very question you pose!

"In other words, is Jane a sort of repressed Anne? "

I always thought the older Jane is more repressed than the younger Jane. Hence, the former could be considered a repressed Anne.

"Yet Anne has no religion (does she?) and religion plays such a large part in Jane’s life, both as a child and adult."
Anne might not have not have appeared to have any forms of religious notions as a child, but she definitly sides with the Presbitarianism once she enters Avonlea and is taught these doctrines by Marilla. She might not agree with all aspects of that religion, but she definitly forms an affinity to it in some way or another.

"And even if Jane had loving parents, she might still be a quiet person, tending to think deeply on subjects and reflect before speaking or acting rashly... "
The young Jane, I think, would be more outspoken, though not as actively as Anne. Anne too had an unhappy childhood before she came to Avonlea. At the orphanage as well as when she worked as a servant in different homes, Anne didn't protest violently, if at all, but meekly carried out her tasks. Only when she finds her "home" does she raise her voice-even if Marilla and Rachel Lynde try to quieten her. Young Jane raises her voice, in other words fights with John Reed and argues with Mrs. Reed, only when she is on the verge of finding something close to her "home"--which is Lowood.
I am not sure if Jane would have been very quiet if she had had loving parents. I suppose it depends on her parents. If they were strict, she might have been quiet and then rebelled later. However, if they were warm like Matthew, perhaps young Jane would have talked more (she does talk more in Morton, in the company of those she is comfortable with).

The older Anne is much more serious than the younger. My favorite Anne has always been the little Green Gables mite. As she gets to college and marries, she is far less chatty. Even L.M.Montgomery devotes more attention to others around Anne than Anne herslef, in the later Anne novels, so Anne's voice becomes less explosive with time.