Friday, June 09, 2006

I was at my supervisor's (she was so sweet and decided to take me under her wing for a few days)and I must say I am glad to be able to get acquainted with her. Yesterday we spent a considerable amount of time talking about the Brontes!! She said that she knew of a Bronte-enthusiast in the area who is writing a book on the Brontes. Apparently this fan claims to have conversations with the Brontes on a regular basis ;) I confess I've had my share of "talking" to intangible things but as for actually getting responses and being so sure of them...I'd want to discern more of the detatails of such a feat. For example, I'd like to know if she wrote of her experiences (it might make for an interesting piece of writing!), or did something or another with them. Anyways, my supervisor thinks that the lady is crazy. My question, however, is how could one draw the line between sanity and insanity. For example, is the woman crazy to claim to "hear" the Brontes, or are others not enlightened enough to "hear" them? In other words, who or what is "crazy"?

Besides discussing the Bronte-enthusiast, out attentions made a logical shift to discussing Jane Eyre. Although I had mentioned that my supervisor was fond of Rochester, I didn't know how much until yesterday. Initially she said she could find nothing wrong with him, to which I volunteered, "Oh but he has faults, to be sure." Her smile faded for a moment and she grew pensive, when I said "He is not without rather um..violent tendencies." I mentioned Rochester's act of shooting the lover of Celine Varens, as well as the way in which he almost threatens Jane just before she leaves Thornfield. I wanted to give an accurate portrait of Rochester so that anyone who wants to know him will be aware of all his faults and then decide whether they still prefer him. Once Ned is able to pass this test, our affection for him will be stronger than ever because we will know all aspects of his character. My supervisor quipped, "Oh but he could have had a duel with Celine's lover if he wanted to. Now that would have been more violent! Rochester didn't, so he has the potential to be forgiven."
What we both agreed on was that Rochester is a good man at heart. He wants to be rid of taints in his character and he seeks Jane to help him be a better person. He loves her based on a deeper, intellectual level.

I was pleased to find that my supervisor even remembered parts of the book (This is the only Bronte book she's read), as well as bits of the 1996 movie starring Hurt. To my delight, she suggested we rent the 1983 Jane Eyre and we watched the first 6 episodes yesternight! I can't wait to watch the rest of it soon!!!

2 comments:

mysticgypsy said...

Hi Frankengirl! :D
I think the "crazy" quesiton will never cease to haunt us. I think, however, that some amount of "craziness", in other words, abnormality, is necessary in order to create something new. Art could not exist otherwise.

"If he never stumbled, he cannot ever rise."
You say it so well Frankengirl! :)

Yes, I am so glad to have such a lovely supervisor! She is very understanding and is always ready to assist anyone. It was pure luck that she ended up being a Jane Eyre/Dalton fan. We have heaps of fun speculating about possibilities, especially what Jane and Rochester didn't do (at least in the book) :P

mysticgypsy said...

I'm guessing a few "naughty" bits might have been conjectured amongst the two of you, hehe!
You bet :P
I wish you could join us in the speculation Frankengirl!