Tuesday, April 04, 2006

A new poem:

Instead of "No coward soul is Mine" I will be reading this:


Aye, there it is! It wakes tonight
Sweet thoughts that will not die
And feeling's fires flash all as bright
As in the years gone by!

And I can tell by thine altered cheek
And by thy kindled gaze
And by the words thou scarce dost speak
How wildly fancy plays.

Yes, I could swear that glorious wind
Has swept the world aside,
Has dashed its memory from thy mind
Like foam-bells from the tide--

And thou art now a spirit pouring
Thy presence into all--
The essence of the Tempest's roaring
And of the Tempest's fall--

A universal influence
From thine own influence free;
A principle of life, intense,
Lost to moratality.

Thus truly when that breast is cold
Thy prisoned soul shall rise,
The dungeon mingle with the mould--
The captive with the skies.

(--Emily Bronte (July 6, 1841), from the Honresfeld Manuscript)

1 comment:

mysticgypsy said...

The poetry reading went quite well.
I found that my accent becomes stronger (and stranger) when I read out loud ;)