Sunday, April 30, 2006

Unready

In a short while I will be graduating from college. And I am not ready.

Unlike a lot of seniors, I am not yet tired of where I am at the moment. But then again, my situation is peculiar. Having switched my major rather late in my college career,it is only this year that I am taking a lot of classes I enjoy and doing something I am passionate about. I have had a chance to make valuable contacts with professors, staff and students. I enjoy having stimulating discussions with my professors and it fills me with dread to think that very soon, that cord of communion will be snapt.

I have been so fortunate to be here, in this place with its wealth of resources and nurturing environment, that makes it possible to bring to world to me if I should wish it. If I have a question, be it anything, I could pursue the answers here. I regret the many years in which I was blind to all that was before me. Oh just how much could I have done if only I had had an awakening earlier. Besides doing a Bronte thesis, I could have double majored in what inspires me every day: Art. I could have started a Bronte Society in my college, presented at a conference, procured funding to go to conference elsewhere, or had rewarding summer internships that involved doing things I really liked to do, like teaching. I am convinced I could have brought Juliet Barker to speak here, with some persuasion and support. I could have written for the college publications, or started one of my own. I could have taken actual creative writing classes and submitted some of my stories for competitions. I could have formed more meaningful relationships with people instead of telling myself to be satisfied with indifference. I could have done so much with what I was given. Just this one year of doing something I like, makes up for the past three years in which all I remember now is being in some sort of trance, working like a machine without being free, trying to achieve something without asking the vital question: What do I really like?

I was truly blessed to be here and even during those times when I get a grade I didn't expect or the internship I didn't get, I think about the great discussions I've had in classes or with professors afterwards and I know that the journey has been worth it. Besides classes, this is the only year in which I actually opened myself to freedom: not just emotionlly but physically as well, for I've taken up a couple of sports I enjoy doing.

Very soon this will be no more. I will literally be forced to move out of my niche and fend for myself. Myself alone. Moving home is out of the question, at least not for the present. And then, I don't know what I will do or where I will go. I don't know what type of people I will be surrounded with, whether they'd have the kindred spirits in them or whether they'd mock my eccentricities. If I could have my way, I wish I could get paid to research the Brontes or work on Children's Literature. Even if it is possible to do this at some time in far future, thinking of my present choices is not very comforting.

I suppose I should not complain. But job anxiety is kicking in, especially when I see a lot of seniors with jobs. I suppose everything happens for the best...but we only know that in hindsight...we have to go through the journey first.

And I don't know if I am ready to do so soon.

4 comments:

Guy said...

Welcome to the dillema of human existence. You do recall what Shakespeare said don't you? His most famous line: To be...
In the alternate history of other worlds you did those things, became that person and now regret not being the who you are in this world. Such is the nature of choice and the curse of awareness. Ignorance is bliss with a hideous price tag.

mysticgypsy said...

Hi Frankengirl!
Thank you for the advice:)
It is just that I have to accept that the outer world is not quite the bubble college is. And I do hope to stay in touch with friends who I connect with. I do keep my profs updated on my creative ventures and thinking of losing that connection makes me sad.

I would like to go to grad school after a while so I suppose I'd have to be patient till then. I am really glad there is this network of bloggers (including you!) who are supportive of creative work.

mysticgypsy said...

Hi Guy!
"the curse of awareness."
Ah, you said it well. An awakening, though hopeful, arrives with a pang of regret.

Unknown said...

A good compropmse mght be pandora online something your chikldren want, wich cheap pandora will also be usefdul for them & you. Last year, scooter for one of the pandora charm boys was a big hit as he cuild whistle down the street at him, then fold it & put it in the bag when pandora charms australia he juumped on the bus or want to go inside the shopping center ... Not bad for investment in accordance with $ 100.00. It saved me from going to take him with his bicycle many timse troughout the year. This Christmas does not maztter