Saturday, October 15, 2005

Something to ponder about:
"There is a deep connection with Art and Loss".
---my Poetry teacher.

(this certainly kept me thinking for hours)

Basically, you think about the story of Daphne and Apollo. Apollo made a wreath out of the laurel leaves from the tree Daphne turned into so that he could keep her forever in his memories. So he tried to express his loss in the form of constructing something. That is what poets (and artists) do in essence. They construct a work of art when they have undergone loss. Art is thus an expression for loss.

I thought about all the works of art that I hold dear: books by Bronte, Hardy, Paintings by Renoir, Monet, Music by Mozart, Schubert, Shakespeare's plays, basically any form of art...and then it amazes me that perhaps the artists have had to endure some form of loss in order to construct such magnificent works. Even regarding my own work (not so magnificent of course..but nevertheless I consider my best work), I wrote my short story when I was having a difficult time, when I thought I lost something....

No comments: