Sunday, January 22, 2006

You know how sometimes you just don't know who to trust? Like there are things I would like to tell to friends, thiongs that reveal depths of my character, but I just don't know how they would react..I am afraid of them thinking too lightly of the issues that mean so much to me. Of course I can't expect them to approve of all I say, but anything is better than indifference. Worse of all is if they make fun of things that are dear to me (whether they do it conciously or otherwise).

Like today I convinced a few friends to give Wuthering Heights a shot and we ended up watching it. They have a vague idea of how much that book means to me. But somehow the moment they started dismissing the story, calling it "too melodramatic" (without giving enough evidence to support their claim), I got frustrated. I didn't say anything to that effect but the anger was immense. I was angry because I felt sad. Sad if others take something so lightly and laugh about it in my face. The same way, I am hesitant to tell them other things because I'll feel like in telling them things about myself, I'd lose parts of myself.

Isn't it so? In giving your thoughts away, you lose a part of you.

5 comments:

bluestocking said...

Hi MysticGypsy--

this is only tangentially relevant to what you've posted, in that it deals with Wuthering Heights, not the question you ask. Anyway, I wondered if you've ever read "The Glass Essay" in Glass, Irony and God by Anne Carson? I just reread it last night for a class I'm teaching. It's fabulous: an essay in verse about a failed relationship and what a great writer Emily Bronte is. I'd be really interested to know what you think of it.

mysticgypsy said...

To bored dominatrix:
-I will indeed try and get a hold of this article :) It seems very interesting! I'd have to wait a little while before my library gets it for me.

To Frankengirl:
-hehe :P I guess none of the actors can really measure up to the images I have in my head.
However, if I'd have have to choose, for Cathy here are my choices:
*Justine Waddell (from A&E's Tess of the D'urbervilles, Wives and Daughters )
*Rachel Weisz (from The Constant Gardener, Jude)
*Emily Mortimer (from Dear Frankie, Elizabeth)

As for Heathcliff..I really am at a loss...I did like Ralph's Fiennes portrayal of Heathcliff and he's the only one I'd consider casting for this role if I could.

bluestocking said...

OK, I know FG specified LIVE actors, and this guy is dead, and before that he was fat and unattractive for a good long while, and he was always American, but still, I think there could be no better Heathcliff than a young Marlon Brando. To hear him shout "Cathy!" the way he shouted "Stella!"....

Now that's a movie I would love to see made.

Just to pique your curiosity about "The Glass Essay," here's a passage:

Whacher,
Emily's habitual spelling of this word,
has caused confusion.
For example

in the first line of the poem printed Tell me, whether, is it winter?
in the Shakespeare Head edition.
But whacher is what she wrote.

Whacher is what she was.
She whached God and humans and moor wind and open night.
She whached eyes, stars, inside, outside, actual weather.

She whached the bars of time, which broke.
She whached the poor core of the world,
wide open.

To be a whacher is not a choice.

and it goes on, for 38 pages of really amazing poetry.

mysticgypsy said...

To Bored Dominatrix:
OMG!!! Those lines are indeed captivating! I can't wait till the book gets here :)

To Frankengirl:
-Hugh Jackman!!!! tap-dancing across the moors!!! That's hilarious!!! yeah..we'll have to definitly exclude him from auditioning!
All I remember of him is from the X-men previews :P

mysticgypsy said...

Oh then I suppose I have underestimated Hugh Jackman..I didn't think he took over difficult roles.